There are many different version of cabbage soup diet recipes. However the classic cabbage soup diet recipe includes the following ingredient:
- Half of a cabbage head
- 6 softball size green onions or 10 medium sized ones
- 1 to 2 standard size of tomatoes
- 3 carrots
- 10 ounce can of mushrooms
- 1 celery bunch
- 1 pack “Lipton soup mix”
- 2 large green bell peppers
- 1 to 2 bouillon cubes (optional)
- Herbs, salt and pepper, parsley, garlic powder, curry, etc. for added flavor
Points To Remember Before You Start Cooking :
Choose organically grown vegetables in your recipe.
Organically grown vegetables may have some signs of worms or insects, soak them in vinegar water or salt water for 15-20 minutes.
Use stainless steel knife for cutting the cabbage since the phytonutrients that cabbage contains react with carbon steel, turning the leaves black.
It is recommended that cabbage is sliced or chopped and letting it sit for 5-10 minutes before cooking to facilitate the production of the most glucosinolates.
How to make Cabbage Soup:
1. Chop green onions. Place the sliced onions in a saucepan and sauté the onions adding a little bit of cooking oil spray.
2. Prepare the green peppers by taking out the seeds and membrane. Chop the green pepper into small bite sized cubes then throw them in to the saucepan together with the sautéed onions.
*3. Peel off the outside layers of the cabbage and cut the leaves into pieces roughly the same size as the peppers, then add them to continue sautéing.
4. Clean the carrots. Peel and chop them and add them to the saucepan.
5. Keep the mushrooms a good size, you can cut them in halves or thirds before throwing them in to the saucepan too.
6. Cayenne pepper or a little bit of curry powder can be added to the brew to give it a little kick. That is, if you want you soup to be a little spicy.
7. The bullion cubes can be used to add flavor to the dish. If you do choose to add this to your cooking, it eliminates the need for additional salt.
8. Add about 12 cups of water and pour inside the pot. Turn the heat to low and let the soup simmer. A two hour period is recommended to make the soup most effective. Add additional salt and pepper for taste.
More Cabbage Soup Diet Recipes :